Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Letter F is for Fall, Football and Fermentation

So as you're there, standing in the grain isle designing a new batch of beer by hunch with just 20 minutes to select and grind up the grains, you realize your hunch is based on a taste for something very bready, all hopped up and maybe with a red tinge, remind me what I'm drinking if the label falls off one later on.   

So here is my list of starters:

  
In addition, I know I'm using 5% Rice Hulls to clear it up, and Dex to raise the ethanol. 


I pulled Centennial and Amarillo out of their fridge to make as hoppy as need be. Nevertheless, even though I literally had the brewing software opened (BeerSmith), and the pot on the stove, I backed it down.  Didn't feel right.  I'm still not so sure, or ready to cook it all up, so needs more time to search, research, incubate and scheme.  

But soon... soon.









































And recently had this Smuttynose at a Lobster Bash in upstate NY, and it was as inspirational as it was, well, frankly..  debilitating... yes, it required walking around town for a hour or two before lighting out. You can find the skinny on Homunuculus here.  It's a very hoppy, Belgian style monster that rocks out at 9.48% ABV, which will may just have you circling the parking lot too.  To hop it up, they use Bravo, Sterling, and Calypso, which sounds a little like directions from air traffic control, to be sure.



I also picked up this blast from the past months ago, and finally got around to it.  All it needed were a set of Lawn Jarts and 30 M-80s, just like 4th of July, circa 1979.












No comments:

Post a Comment