Saturday, April 27, 2013

What's Hoppening: Three Floyds Brewpub, IN

Do not ask me what the F. is wrong with Blogger, but I've tried to post these Three Floyds photos several times, and had to use Picasa to get them online. So I'm going into this mildly enraged at the internetz, and this is going to end up very impressionistic, since NOTHING UPLOADED WHILE I WAS THERE! 

Nevertheless, Three Floyds Brewpub was dark, and a little bikerish, while playing art films on the back wall.  And as anticipated, the hops were on high for many of their selections.  I ordered a flight, which was pre determined and included a bready, smokey Scotch Ale that I ended up buying a six pack of for the road. 

One thing I recall of the visit was the speed metal, and the Irish guy at the bar, talking quite a bit, and between songs, asking John and Phil behind the bar to change the music to something mellow so many time that I even started thinking: "get some purple pills, bro", to which, they cranked just ignored the request and just rocked to something on par with Metalica.  


That's when it dawned on me that this pub is the CBGBs of #craftbeer.  After a flight of outstanding hoppy, well balanced, high octane beer (most of them are sold by the 1/2 pint), and that extraordinary Scotch Ale, I moved on to the Saison style monster, which was thin and more highly ethanol tasting than I expected.  I guess anticipated a sour tinge, rather than a distilled quality.  It was twice fermented with two strands of yeast.

The Scotch Ale was bready, malty and somewhat smokey making it a stand out to my taste.  

I ordered the BBQ Beef Jerky, which was a massively tasty and in nice Indiana portions, in case you're not so jazzed by the trend reduced sized appetizers in certain fancy Chicago restaurants.

I asked about the short supply of Zombie Dust, which seems to be selling so well in Chicago.  John says, they're making more, so stay tuned.


Inside the works... lot's of good classic jazz cut blasting too.







No comments:

Post a Comment