Thursday, March 28, 2013

Le Baladin Wayan Sour at Birreria (and the 80s Music)

Here's another awesome amber sour I had at Birreria, which seems to be getting absurd mixed reviews on Beer Advocate.   No accounting for taste I suppose.

Everything I had there was just bursting with flavor, including this sour, well balanced beautifully colored and carbonated La Baladin Waylan, on tap. I used it to wash back a plate of cured meats.  This Matterino "Teo" Musso is as serious with his herbals as any Joe on Beer Advocate is about his six packs.  For example, according to the commercial information on this beer:

"Baladin Wayan is made of 17 different ingredients (barley, wheat, spelt, oats, rye, different types of hops and many different spices besides coriander."

In opening his brewery in the Piedmont region of Italy back in 1996, Teo was advised by Jean-Louis Dits of La Brasserie à Vapeur in Pipaux, Belgium and Christian Vanhaverbeke, who had experience at Chimay, Union Grimberger and Achouffe, and thus he's learned a few things from a few people who know what's what by any measure. 

"Wayan" is also Teo's daughter, so basically "that's [his] daughter in the water".   In Morocco, Teo established Riad Baladin http://www.riadbaladin.com in case you're stuck for ideas about where to take your next vacation. 

Meanwhile, I'm going to go ahead and let those grouches grumble among themselves on Beer Advocate, after sampling the quality and variety of beer offered here, I'll be going back on the regular, for sure.  

The only true problem I could find for myself with Birreria was the 80's music, rocking the bar.  And it was relentlessly queer, which I mean purely in the odd sense.  Whoever selects the music... well, maybe they are trying to pull in more women, who love those sounds, but seriously, it was tough to take after the first 3 dozen songs.   

I mean really, Rick Springfield?  Syria?





No comments:

Post a Comment