Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dark Belgian on Hudson Ale with Hard Heirloom Cider

This dark honey pumpkin cranberry ale was well enough on its own, but why would anyone go ahead and leave well enough alone with that, right?  

I had some Hard cider sitting around, outside in the freeze, that seemed flat, and shocked to death, so I decided to finish this Dark Honey Pumpkin Ale in the spirit of a Lambec, like a Gueuze, or a Kriek, only with Heirloom Cider Apples rather than, high acid, high sugar sour cherries.

In fact, I did end up adding some sour black cherry juice I had sitting around for juicing purposes, so a few bottles will be rather more like Kriek than mere metaphor. 

Well, the Nottingham came back to life when I took it inside, which meant frothy head on the cider, perhaps more than the Ale, which transferred over to the ale when I snapped this photo.  

The Cider thinned the mouth feel of the Ale well enough at 1/4 the jug, and way more at 1/3, so I kept adding ale to bring down that hollow cider taste (and perhaps the headaches it sometimes imparts).  

Right now Notthingham yeast is battling it out in the bottles with the other dry ale yeast I used for the beer.  I'm using PET bottles to avoid any trouble, and a few Champagne bottles with mere caps, hoping the small added honey I put in for carbonation won't make for pop goes the weasel. 

Stuff tastes great, but needs a few taste testers to really say.


No comments:

Post a Comment